Wednesday, May 23, 2007

magnificent obsession

while i was working out this morning, listening to my iPod...i had a moment of clarity. as i was on the treadmill, that old steven curtis chapman song started playing, "magnificent obsession" (it's one of my favorites). in that moment God spoke to me...(hence, the moment of clarity) there's so much stuff in my life that is fighting for my attention and i think that it all comes down to the fact that i need to make intentional choices. does that make sense? i have a sweet, dear sister-friend who all the time reminds me that it's about being intentional in my walk with Jesus. it's a daily choice---an intentional, daily choice to walk in the Spirit and give Him complete control. my heart's desire is that above everything else in my life that Jesus would be my magnificent obsession. daily. intentionally, daily making that choice.

i realize that this lesson is as old as the hills...it's not new to me and i'm sure it's not new to you but it's truth and i think we all struggle with it at some point, to some degree. i want to feast on the manna that God has for me...today...thinking back of past lessons learned and past provisions isn't good enough. gazing over my shoulder, remembering the things of the past God has done and the ways He has worked aren't enough for today's nourishment. i won't feast on maggoty manna (you know, the manna spoiled after the day God provided it) and why would we want to feast on something that has spoiled when God is willing and wanting to provide manna for TODAY!

Lord, You know how much I want to know so much in the way of answers and explanations.
I have cried and prayed and still I seem to stay in the middle of life’s complications.
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I’m chasing down the wind but now it’s brought me back to You and I can see again...
This is everything I want, this is everything I need, I want this to be my one consuming passion; everything my heart desires Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus, be my magnificent obsession.


So capture my heart again; take me to depths I’ve never been into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy.
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things, let all my dreams fall to the ground until this one remains...

You are everything I want, and You are everything I need, Lord, You are all my heart desires You are everything to me.
You are everything I want, You are everything I need, I want You to be my one consuming passion.

Everything my heart desires Lord, I want it all to be for You...I want it all to be for You. ~steven curtis chapman

No comments: